Saturday, May 15, 2010

Flying Purple People Eater

I really enjoy meeting new people. Granted, rarely am I one to initiate a conversation with someone new, but there must be something about me that welcomes people to come and talk to me... and I really like that about myself. Otherwise, it's just boredom or curiousity that draws people to me, but either way, it's usually pretty cool. I've met a lot of really cool and interesting people so far.

However, I've also had my share of interesting (in a not so good way) and somewhat creepy characters who've introduced themselves to me.

Yesterday, for example, I met a nice looking guy who attends one of the top universities here in Seoul as an engineering student (this was confirmed by a folder and paper he showed me to emphasize his point, since I couldn't quite understand the name of the university he was saying in broken English). He came off as a nice guy who just wanted to meet foreigners, telling me about his military stint and how he was going to a party. He even invited me to eat Kimchi and rice with him, which seemed innocent enough even though I told him it'd have to be another night. Then, he pushed the barrier a bit. He told me how beautiful I am, which I get told a lot in this country and have learned to be flattered by rather than creeped out, but he also told me he "literally" loved me.

"I love you. Literally. I love you."

This is another common phrase Koreans learn, but I always become a little nervous when I hear it because I know the conversation could quickly turn. However, lately I've learned to smile politely, say some small form of "thank you" in return and change the subject if at all possible, which I somewhat managed to do.

He went on to tell me I have a small face... another conversational repeat I often hear, which is why Korean men supposedly find me beautiful. Then, he went on to tell me he had a large face (which he didn't) and large other areas, err, if you know what I mean and continued to ask me if that was a good thing...

First of all, doubtful... second of all, it was completely inappropriate and awkward. This was the point when every escape plan I could possibly conjur up came into play.

Long story short, he followed me off the train to my transfer point then, luckily, I had to pay more to take the express train so he didn't follow me past the pay point. I also had a similiar taxi driver a few weekends back, but he was a bit less creepy. He pulled the "I love you" too though.

This being said, I know my mom is probably going to freak out now, after reading this, about me going anywhere alone, etc. etc. but really, I couldn't be in a country I'm less afraid of. I never once thought anyone was going to hurt me, and there are always people outside at all times of night, so coming home alone late at night isn't an issue. Plus, these funny/creepy people make for interesting stories and are usually really nice people who have social issues. Plus, the amazing people I meet make up for the weird ones.

It's also become a goal of mine to learn another language during my lifetime. It's amazing to me how people can speak so many... I'm jealous of their capacity to learn so easily.
til next time.

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense. " -Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 comments:

  1. One day, you will have your own daughter who runs off to a foreign country and writes about creepy men who say they literally love her. I will take great pleasure when I receive that frantic phone call from you. :)
    Just be cautious. You will understand how much I love you once you have your own children.
    Your paranoid mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello- My name is Andy- I'm 23, and fresh on the foreign teacher scene in Seoul. I have recently started the groundwork for a webzine about life as a teacher in South Korea. I am combing through the Korean Blog List and posting this message on a few of my very favorite blogs. I am looking for a collection of talented writers interested in collaborating to create a top notch web magazine for the thousands of ESL instructors in Korea. Please know that getting this message means I have a great deal of respect for the work of yours that I have seen. I would love to have you along as a fellow pioneer for this project. Please e-mail me if you are interested, and I would be happy to give you the specifics- abax86@rams.colostate.edu. Please leave a link to your blog in your e-mail so I can keep track of who is who. Hope to hear from you soon. Also, here's a link to my blog... thenomaddiary.com
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete