Wednesday, September 29, 2010

335 days later.

I'm starting to realize that in reality, anyone can do anything they want in life. Dreams don't have to be imaginary. Money and fear are the only two things that really stand in the way of being exactly who you want to be and going exactly where you want to go. I understand it's not always easy. Life loves to throw obstacles our way, testing our strength and determination, and not everyone can handle the failures it takes to finally succeed.

One month from today I'll have been in Korea exactly one year. I remember stepping off the airplane last October absolutely terrified. I didn't know what I was doing or what I expected. I didn't know the language, the food, the culture. Most of all, I had no idea who I was, the real me. I hoped my year would go by quickly, and I could return home without anything ever changing.

Last Friday, I extended my contract for another 6 months.

I'm still not positive I know exactly who I am, but every day I take one step closer to figuring it all out. I absolutely love this country, although I'm not entirely sure I wouldn't say that about anywhere I happened to find myself living. However, the people, the food, the customs and traditions, they all amaze me here and there's nothing I take for granted. I feel like I've done a lot--DJ Fest, Lantern Fest, Mud Fest, trip to Busan, palaces and temples, aquariums and museums, bars and restaurants, shopping, etc.-- but I also feel like there are so many things I haven't gotten to do yet, and I can't wait to see where the next 6 months takes me.

My newest idea is to get a TEFL certificate in another country for a month after my contract ends in February. Possibly Spain or Greece... or somewhere in South America.. Peru? I feel lucky, but at the same time I'm really just doing what I want to do. The world is an amazing place, why shouldn't I try to turn my dream of exploring it into a reality?


"You were given life; it is your duty to find something beautiful within life, no matter how slight." --Elizabeth Gilbert

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post, pretty inspiring for me. I think living abroad helps us discover and create a big chunk of the "real" us so that when we do eventually go back or go forward to somewhere else we have for firmness in our steps.

    ReplyDelete